WELCOME to
THE GREEN HISTORY DETECTIVES
Episode 18

The buttons above images are identified and described below:
     BUTTON    DESCRIPTION
     CHANGE    Change to the other image in the set
     ZOOM IN    Zoom into image
     NORMAL    Restore image to initial size
     ZOOM OUT    Zoom out of image
Repeating an operation is most effectively performed by clicking
on a button and then pressing the enter key repeatedly as desired.
Panning is most effectively performed by using the cursor keys.

All other Episodes are available at THE GREEN HISTORY DETECTIVES



Episode 18

Who can tell us where the buildings are located in the photographs below, which were taken about
100 years ago, about 7 years apart, during the summer and winter?
The answer must include the relative position (e.g. North, South, East, West, etcetera) of those
buildings to a well-known landmark (e.g. Monument, Park, Public Square, etcetera):

The photographs are given below with summer left and winter right:


Clue #1:

More of the summer photograph is shown below.
Notice that the buildings on the right are obstructed by tree leaves.

Clue #2:

To expose the buildings on the right, the image below consists of the left side of the summer photograph
and the right side of the winter photograph:

Clue #3:

Below, a third photograph is given to the right of the two photographs above:




CAUTION!!!

WARNING!!!

ALERT!!!

The solution is given below.

DO NOT scroll down further

UNLESS you would like to see the solution.




SOLUTION


The photographs were taken in Greensburg, also known as Inland, Ohio and were given on the three
post cards below from the Green Historical Society and were mailed on the dates given in the
lower left corner of each post card below:

The third photograph, of the post card mailed March 11, 1912, is of the building as described by
the Green Historical Society below and which eventually became the Greensburg Post Office as
described in Episode 15:

The combined photographs are shown below with the Google Maps Car photograph taken from
approximately the same spot, but a bit farther to the north, in August 2011.
Notice that the Greensburg Post Office and building across the street from it are no longer
there. The yellow line and numbered points 1 through 4 show common points in the images.
The future and former home of Bridenthal Ford is also shown:

For more information about Bridenthal Ford, visit the web page BRIDENTHAL FORD.


QUESTION FOR GREEN HISTORY DETECTIVES

In a previous episode, the Green History Detectives discovered a 143 mile error on the Green Historical
Society
web site. See Episode 7 for details. It appears that other errors have possibly been discovered
as described below:

Information on the Green Historical Society web pages
http://www.greenhistoricalsociety.com/the-evangelical-movement--greensburg-seminary.html
and
http://www.greenhistoricalsociety.com/evangelical-photoshow.html
seems to suggest that the building shown in the black and white photo below, as given on the
‘History of Green’ web page at
http://www.greenhistoricalsociety.com/history-of-green.html,
is the same building shown in the color photo below the black and white photo:

Information provided in the image at
http://www.greenhistoricalsociety.com/uploads/3/4/4/0/3440706/274037_orig.jpg
is given below:

This seems to indicate that the building was originally constructed in 1838 on land in front of the
Greensburg Cemetery and then in 1856 was moved to 2227 Greensburg Road on the 4th lot east
(should be west?) of the Greensburg square on the north side of the street.
However, it is possible that they are referring to two (2) separate buildings: one built at 2227
Greensburg Road, which is west of the square, and the other building moved to east of the square.
That is doubtful, though, because then there would be 2 large dormitories in Greensburg.

The black and white photo must have been taken after the building was moved in 1856 because such
photography, utilities provided by the utility poles, concrete sidewalks, and paved roads were not
available till after 1856. However, the building in the black and white photo is oriented to the
road differently than in the color photo.

Other photos of the building are included below:

If we compare the width to the length of the building in the black and white photo to that in the
color photo, the building in the color photo is considerably longer than the building in the black
and white photo. This can be readily recognized when changing between the two photos in the set
below:

Also note that the terrain surrounding the building in the black and white photo is considerably
different from that in the recent Google Maps Car photo below, which includes a yellow circle
around the 2227 Greensburg Road address:

Question For Green History Detectives:

Is the information on the Green Historical Society web site about this building being interpreted
correctly above and, if so, is it true that the building in the black and white photos is not the
same as that in the color photo?
Or, are they referring to two separate buildings, one east of the square and the other west?

Please email your response to Tim at TDBConsulting@aol.com.

Thank you in advance for your swift response,
Tim


UPDATE #1

The the email message below was sent to the folks at the Green Historical Society.
Note that the Zoom and Pan feature was not available in the email message but are provided for
visitors of this web page.


Green Historical Society:

We appreciate your Internet web site entitled ‘Green Historical Society – The History of
Green, Ohio’.

Information given on the web pages
http://www.greenhistoricalsociety.com/the-evangelical-movement--greensburg-seminary.html
and
http://www.greenhistoricalsociety.com/evangelical-photoshow.html
seems to suggest that the building shown in the black and white photo below, as given on
the ‘History of Green’ web page at http://www.greenhistoricalsociety.com/history-of-green.html,
is the same building shown in the color photo below the black and white photo:

Information provided in the image at
http://www.greenhistoricalsociety.com/uploads/3/4/4/0/3440706/274037_orig.jpg
is given below:

This seems to indicate that the building was originally constructed in 1838 on land in
front of the Greensburg Cemetery and then in 1856 was moved to 2227 Greensburg Road on
the 4th lot east (should be west?) of the Greensburg square on the north side of the
street.
Is it possible that two (2) separate buildings are being referred to: one built at 2227
Greensburg Road, which is west of the square, and the other building moved to east of the
square? That is doubtful, though, because then there would be 2 large dormitories in
Greensburg.

The black and white photo must have been taken after the building was moved in 1856
because such photography, utilities provided by the utility poles, concrete sidewalks,
and paved roads were not available till after 1856. However, the building in the black
and white photo is oriented to the road differently than in the color photo.

Other photos of the building are included below:

If we compare the width and length of the building in the black and white photo to that
in the color photo using perfectly horizontal and vertical lines, the building in the
color photo is considerably longer than the building in the black and white photo. This
is readily recognized below where the red horizontal and vertical lines align to the same
points on the building but the yellow vertical lines, with a question mark, do not line
up to the same point, which indicates a difference in the length:

Also note that the terrain surrounding the building in the black and white photo is
considerably different from that in the recent Google Maps Car photo below, which
includes a yellow circle around the 2227 Greensburg Road address. Note too that there
are also three (3) instead of two (2) chimneys:

We would like to know if the information on the Green Historical Society web site about
this building is being interpreted correctly above and, if so, is it true that the
building in the black and white photos is not the same as that in the color photo?
Or, are there two separate buildings being referred to and shown, one east of the square
and the other west?

It may be worthwhile to mention that, except for the windows, trim, and chimney locations,
the building and surrounding terrain in the Inland Store and Post Office Post Card below,
from about 1912, is very similar to that in the black and white photos above:

This email message is also attached in the Microsoft Word file ThisOldBuilding.doc.

If you have any questions or comments, please do not hesitate to contact me at:
TDBConsulting@aol.com

Thank you for your time and efforts,
Timothy D. Ball
TDB Consulting
Web: http://TDBConsulting.org/


Below is the building in question as presented on the ‘Green Historical Society –
The History of Green, Ohio’ web site web page ‘History of Green’:


UPDATE #2

The response from the Green Historical Society to the email message above is given below:


Hi Tim,

These buildings are not the same building. For a time, there were two dormitories in
Green. The black and white photo is the first church building built by the Evangelical
Association after it was moved from the front lot of Greensburg Cemetery on Thursby Road
into Greensburg. After this building was moved into Greensburg it was used as a secondary,
girls dormitory for Greensburg Seminary, a college run by the Evangelical Association.
The color photo is a photo of the main dormitory, the boys dormitory, for Greensburg
Seminary. The old post office building is a third building that was located in Greensburg.
The main (boys) dormitory is the only building left standing.

Staci Schweikert


The response to the email message above is given below. Note that the Zoom and Pan
feature was not available in the email message but are provided for visitors of this web
page.


Hello Staci:

Thank you for the clarification that the building in the black and white photo is not the
same building as that in the color photo.

It is now understood that the building in the color photo was built in 1856 at 2227
Greensburg Road
, which is west of the Greensburg square on the north side of the road,
and served as a Boys dormitory.

It is also understood that the building in the black and white photo, which was
originally constructed in 1838 on land in front of the Greensburg Cemetery on Thursby
Road, was moved in 1856 to 2277 Greensburg Road, which is east of the Greensburg square
on the north side of the road, and served as a Girls dormitory.

The confusion basically began after viewing the “Then and Now Pictures” referred to at
http://www.greenhistoricalsociety.com/the-evangelical-movement--greensburg-seminary.html,
that are shown at http://www.greenhistoricalsociety.com/evangelical-photoshow.html.
It was believed that the building in the black and white photo was the “Then” photo and
the building in the color photo was the “Now” photo of the same building.
However, it is now understood that the “Then” black and white photo (of the Girls dormitory)
does not have an associated “Now” photo and the “Now” color photo (of the Boys dormitory)
does not have an associated “Then” photo.
Therefore, it may be more accurate to refer to the “Then and Now Pictures” as the
“Then and/or Now Pictures” because not all pictures provided are of “Then and Now” but
are of “Then and/or Now”. For example, the Boys dormitory only has a “Now” photo but not
a “Then” photo and the Girls dormitory only has a “Then” photo but not a “Now” photo.

It may be easier for visitors to understand the “Then and (/or) Now Pictures” page if
there were a “Then” column and a “Now” column, with the “Then” photos to the left and the
associated “Now” photos to the right. If there is no “Then” or “Now” photo, that area is
empty. An example follows where the first row only has a “Then” photo, the second row
only has a “Now” photo, and the third row has a “Then and Now” photo:

Proof that the Girls dormitory building in the black and white photo was indeed located
east of the square at 2277 Greensburg Road follows:

The house to the right in the Google Maps Car photo below from August 2011 is located at
2277 Greensburg Road. Notice that the terrain surrounding the house matches the terrain
in the black and white photo. More importantly, note the two houses to the left of that house:

The photo below confirms the address is 2277 Greensburg Road as circled in yellow:

Because the house two doors down from the house above is obstructed by trees, the photo
below of that house is included to reveal the roof:

The black and white photo below includes the recent images of the two houses to the left
of 2277 Greensburg Road.
The red circles show the unique roof line of the house two doors down, which existed then
(in the black and white photo) and still now (in the color photo).
The yellow circles show the bay window of the house next door, which existed then
(in the black and white photo) and still now (in the color photo).
The green circles show the unique 45 degree porch entrance of the house next door, which
existed then (in the black and white photo) and still now (in the color photo).
Other features in the then and now photos of those houses can be seen.

Appreciatively,
Tim




AmazingCounters.com