This is Tim's Scattergun Collection. The collection consists of Muzzle Loading and Breech Loading Scatterguns of each Ignition Type, Barrel Configuration, and Barrel Form produced. It includes examples of each Gun Type, Lock Type, Stock Type, and Barrel Type produced as well as examples of each Hammer Type, Trigger Type, and Lever Type produced in many Gauges.
Refer to Collection Definition and Ignition Systems for more information.
The above guns were more often than not "filled with small shot rendered from a lump of lead hammered flat and cut into cubes with a knife". 1. 20 Gauge, Flintlock, Full Stock, 10.75" Steel Barrel, 1 5/8" Muzzle, 18.75" Overall, 1800s
2. 6 Gauge, Flintlock, Full Stock, 16.5" Steel Barrel, 2.5" Muzzle, 29.5" Overall, 1700s or 1800s
3. 8 Gauge, Percussion, Back Action Lock, Full Stock, 20.75" Steel Barrel, 3" Muzzle, 36.25" Overall, 1800's
1. ~.65 Caliber, Snaphaunce, Full Stock, North Africa, 1700s-1800s
2. ~.55 Caliber, Snaphaunce, Full Stock, North Africa, 1700s-1800s
1. 12 Gauge, Flint Miquelet To Percussion, 1700s
Single Barrel Shotguns (Left)
2. 14 Gauge, Flintlock To Percussion Fowler, M.SMITH, GREENFIELD, MASSACHUSETTS, 1830s
3. 12 Gauge, Percussion, Front Action Lock, Half Stock, Belgium Liege Proof Mark, 1830s
4. 12 Gauge, Flintlock To Percussion, U.S. Military Model 1816, Front Action Lock, Half Stock, L. Pomeroy, 1833
5. 12 Gauge, Flintlock To Maynard Tape Lock Percussion, U.S. Military Model 1816, REMINGTON'S, 1857
Double Barrel Shotguns (Right)6. 12 Gauge, Flintlock To Percussion, SxS, Double Triggers, Front Action Locks, 1800s
7. 12 Gauge, Percussion, SxS, Double Triggers, Front Action Locks, SCOTT & Co. LONDON, 1830s
8. 10 Gauge/.45 Caliber Shotgun/Rifle, Percussion, SxS, Triple Triggers, Front Action Locks, JOHN REIN, 1840s
9. .40 Caliber/20 Gauge Rifle/Shotgun, Percussion, O/U, Double Triggers, Dual Ramrods, Back Action Locks, Wm. McClellan, 1840's
(Includes silver inlay of a Lambert Map Projection of a globe with lines of latitude and longitude given.
This inlay is similar to Orthographic Map Projection in the TDB Consulting logo.)
1. 16 gauge, Double Barrel, Double Triggers, Back Action Locks, Under Lever, 1840s
Pinfire Cartridge Shotguns
2. 16 gauge, Single Barrel, Back Action Lock, Under Lever, 1840s
3. 16 gauge, Single Barrel, Back Action Lock, Under Lever, 1857
1. 12 Gauge, Side Hammer, Box Lock Action, Top Lever, 1880s
Centerfire Cartridge Break Open Shotguns
Single Barrel Shotguns (Left)
2. 12 Gauge, Hammer, Side Button, Stevens Tip-Up, 1870s-1895 (1889 Standing Rock Indian Police)
3. 12 Gauge, Hammer, Trigger Guard Lever, Champion, 1880s
4. 12 Gauge, Hammerless, Top Lever, Savage Model 220, Factory Adjustable Choke, 1938-1965
5. .410 Caliber, Hammer, Top Lever, Stevens Model 94, 1950s-1970s
6. 12 Gauge, Hammer, Side Lever, Stevens Model 940E, 1960s-1970s
7. 20 Gauge, Hammer, Under Lever, Ithaca Model 66, 1963-1978
Double Barrel Shotguns (Right)8. 12 Gauge, SxS, Exposed Hammers, Double Triggers, Back Action Lock, Side Lever, W.Richards, 1880s
9. RESERVED FOR SxS, EXPOSED HAMMERS, FRONT ACTION LOCKS (e.g. Remington Model 1889)
10. 12 Gauge, SxS, Hammerless, Double Triggers, Front Action Locks, Top Lever, Star Leader (Crescent), 1900s
11. RESERVED FOR SxS, HAMMERLESS, BOX LOCK ACTION (e.g. Remington Model 1894)
12. 12 Gauge, O/U, Hammerless, Double Triggers, Boito, Brazil, 1980s
13. 20 Gauge/.22 Magnum Combination, SAVAGE 24H - DL, 1965-1969
Other Centerfire Cartridge Break Open Shotguns reside in the
Winchester Single Shot Break Down Shotgun Collection
Remington Single Shot Break Down Shotgun Collection.
1. 12 Gauge, Back Action Lock, Church Bell Brass Zulu, 1870s
Centerfire Cartridge Miscellaneous Shotguns
2. 16 Gauge, Falling Block Lever Action, MADE BY THE HOPKINS & ALLEN MANFG CO., Medium Frame, 1887-1895
3. 12 Gauge, Falling Block Lever Action, THE HOPKINS & ALLEN ARMS CO., Heavy Frame, 1896-1900s
4. 16 Gauge, Rolling Block, E. REMINGTON & SONS, 1880s
5. 12 Gauge, Swing Out Breech, Side Hammer, Back Action Lock, 1870s
6. 14 Gauge, Martini-Henry, W.W.GREENER MARK III, 1890s
The Blunderbusses, Muzzle Loading Shotguns except Percussion 2, 8, 9, Pinfire Shotguns 2, 3, Centerfire Cartridge Break Open Shotguns 4, 6, 7, 8, 12 and Centerfire Cartridge Miscellaneous Shotguns 1, 2, 4, are from Zane Wilson's collection.
Read about Zane.
Percussion Blunderbuss with others of Zane's Collection:
The sections below define the collection.
SCATTERGUNS:Firearms designed solely to propel shot (multiple projectiles):GUN LOADING:
BlunderbussMuzzle Loading smooth bore gun with short barrel having flared muzzle to facilitate loading for firing shot at short ranges.Shotgun
Produced approximately from 1500 to 1900.
From Dutch donderbus: donder = thunder + bus = gun
Smooth bore gun for firing shot at short ranges.Combination
Gun consisting of two barrels with one shotgun barrel and one rifle barrel.Drilling
Gun consisting of three barrels with two shotgun barrels and one rifle barrel.Muzzle LoadingIGNITION TYPES:
Gun loaded at barrel muzzle.Breech Loading
Gun loaded at barrel breech.
Slow burning wick or cord.Pyrite
Ignition for Match Lock (~1411) guns that include Serpentine Locks, Snap Locks, and Sear Locks.
Iron Sulfide ("Fool's Gold") that produces spark when scraped across rough steel.Flint
Ignition for Wheel Lock (1500) guns that include Segment Locks (~1590s) and Rasp Locks (~1470s).
Hard quartz that produces a spark when struck by steel.Percussion
Ignition for Flint Lock (~1620s) guns that include Snaphaunces (1547) and Miquelets (1610s).
Reservoir, cap, pill, tube, or tape containing substance that ignites when struck.Self Contained Cartridge
Ignition for Percussion guns (1805) that include Scent Bottle Locks (1806), Cap Locks (1814), Pill Locks (1816), Tube Locks (1818), and Tape Locks (1821).
Cartridge containing primer that ignites when struck, gun powder, and shot.
Ignition for Cartridge guns that include Center fire (1812), Pin fire (1835), Rim fire (1835), and Needle fire (1841) guns.
Single BarrelBARREL FORMS:
One barrel.Double Barrel Side By Side (SXS)
Two barrels arranged horizontally (beside one another).Double Barrel Over Under (O/U)
Two barrels arranged vertically (one over the other).Round BarrelGUN TYPES:
Barrel is round throughout length.Octagon Barrel
Barrel is octagon throughout length.Octagon to Round Barrel
Barrel is octagon towards breech forming to round towards muzzel.Bell Barrel
Barrel diameter increases at muzzel as in Blunderbusses.Hand Gun also known as Short GunLOCK TYPES:
Gun designed to be held and fired with one hand.Shoulder Gun also known as Long Gun
Gun designed to be held with both hands and fired from the shoulder.
Front Action LockSTOCK TYPES:
Lock located on side of stock where mainspring extends in front of hammer.Back Action Lock
Lock located on side of stock where mainspring extends in back of hammer.Box Lock
Lock located on front of stock where hammer and mainspring are mounted on box shaped housing.Blitz Lock
Lock mounted on top of trigger plate mounted under stock.Full StockBARREL TYPES:
Stock extending to barrel muzzle.Half Stock
Stock not extending to barrel muzzle.IronHAMMER TYPES:
Barrel made with iron.Brass
Barrel made with brass.Steel
Barrel made with steel.Damascus (Twist, Laminated)
Barrel made by twisting strips of iron and steel around a mandrel (rod).Exposed HammerTRIGGER TYPES:
Hammer fully exposed.Semi-Hammerless
Hammer partially exposed.Hammerless
Hammer not exposed (concealed).Single TriggerLEVER TYPES:
One Trigger.Multiple TriggersEach trigger activating each hammer of each multiple barrel.Hair TriggerSecondary trigger adjusted to respond to a very slight pressure to aid in precise shooting.Side LeverGAUGES:
Lever to break open gun is located on side of gun.Top LeverLever to break open gun is located on top of gun.Under Lever
Lever to break open gun is located under gun.The gauge is equal to the number of solid lead spheres of a diameter equal to the inside diameter of the barrel that equal one pound. The list below gives the various Gauges largest to smallest:BUCK SHOT SIZES:
Gauge Diameter 1 1.669" 2 1.325" 3 1.157" 4 1.052" 5 0.976" 6 0.919" 7 0.873" 8 0.835" 9 0.802" 10 0.775" 11 0.751" 12 0.729" 13 0.710" 14 0.693" 15 0.677" 16 0.662" 17 0.650" 18 0.637" 19 0.626" 20 0.615" 21 0.605" 22 0.596" 23 0.587" 24 0.579" 25 0.571" 26 0.563" 27 0.556" 28 0.550" 29 0.543" 30 0.537" 31 0.531" 32 0.526" 33 0.520" 34 0.515" 35 0.510" 36 0.506" 68 0.410"The list below gives the various Buck Shot sizes largest to smallest:BIRD SHOT SIZES:
Size Diameter No. 000 0.36" No. 00 0.34" No. 0 0.32" No. 1 0.30" No. 2 0.27" No. 3 0.25"The list below gives the various Bird Shot sizes largest to smallest:NOTE:
Size Diameter No. 1 0.160" No. 2 0.150" No. 3 0.140" No. 4 0.130" No. 5 0.120" No. 6 0.110" No. 7 0.100" No. 7.5 0.095" No. 8 0.090" No. 8.5 0.085" No. 9 0.080" No. 9.5 0.075" No. 10 0.070" No. 11 0.060" No. 12 0.050"By this Collection Definition, the following guns should be in the collection but may never be part of the collection due to availability and/or excessive costs:
Photos of guns that meet the Collection Definition but that may never be part of the collection follow:
1. Match Lock and Wheel Lock guns designed solely to propel shot (e.g. Blunderbusses). 2. Match Lock and Wheel Lock guns having multiple barrels. 3. Flint Lock guns having Over/Under barrels. 4. Blunderbusses having multiple barrels. 5. Guns having three or more barrels for propelling shot. 6. Match Lock, Wheel Lock, Flint Lock, and Percussion guns that are Breech Loading. 7. Match Lock, Wheel Lock, Flint Lock, and Percussion guns having concealed holder/vise/hammer. 8. Guns having superimposed loads.
Rasp Lock, German, 1500s
Match Lock Blunderbuss, Indian, 1800s
Match Lock 3 Barrel, Indian
Wheel Lock Blunderbuss, Replica
Wheel Lock Double Barrel Side By Side, France, 1600s
Wheel Lock Double Barrel Over/Under, Germany, 1580s
Flintlock Double Barrel Side By Side Blunderbuss, Nicholson, 1800s
Flintlock Double Barrel Over/Under Blunderbuss, Turkey, 1800s
Flintlock Double Barrel Over/Under Tap Lock, England, 1810s
Flintlock 4 Barrel, Paris, 1800s
Cartridge 3 Barrel Shotgun, Westley Richards, 1911
Match Lock, Concealed Holder, India
Wheel Lock, Concealed Vise, 1580s
Flintlock, Concealed Hammer, 1800s
Percussion, Concealed Hammer, 1830s
Wheel Lock superimposed 3 load, 1500s
Flintlock superimposed 10 load, North, 1825
Lever Bolt Sliding Action Blunderbuss with scope